Joining a sorority in college is a life-changing experience, but garnering an education is the top priority for Kappa. This is why each chapter is expected to maintain academic standards equal to or higher than their university’s or college’s all-sorority GPA. We don’t ask individual members to maintain a certain GPA due to the variances in course loads, but each member is expected to contribute to the overall GPA of the chapter.
If a Kappa struggles academically, we help her through it. The Academic Excellence Committee meets with her to craft an improvement plan using study tactics and time management. We want each sister to leave college with what they came for: a degree.
Gamma Phi Chapter
Kappa Kappa Gamma recognizes the value in striving for intellectual excellence and pursuing opportunities for self-growth. Each chapter is encouraged to foster scholastic excellence, actively support its members who encounter academic challenges, and provide an environment conducive to academic success for all members.
One of the major benefits of being involved with Kappa is the breadth of knowledge, advice, and encouragement our members provide each other. Whether you have a question about a class or just need someone to study with, you are sure to find what you are looking for among Kappas. The SMU Kappa house also has several 24-hour quiet study rooms for members to utilize.
Kappa provides incentives for members to achieve academic success. The Vice President of Academic Excellence and her committee work to recognize members throughout the school year. Each week at chapter meetings, the VP-Academic Excellence draws a name out of the "Excellence Jar" and gives a prize to a member who has received an A or a B on an exam, a paper, or a major project. "Study Owls of the Week" is another incentive for members, as each week a group of Kappas is rewarded at chapter for studying together. In the Spring at our chapter's Academic Banquet, members bring a professor as we celebrate our academic achievements of the year. Currently, five of our members are recipients of the Hunt Leadership Scholarship, one of the most prestigious awards on campus.
The Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation awards 161 scholarships each year to undergraduate and graduate members across the globe. The mission of the Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation is to support the lifetime development of women through the funding of educational programs, scholarships, financial aid, and the preservation of Kappa heritage. Scholarships are available to initiated members of the Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity who have a GPA of a B or higher and are full-time students. For more information, visit the Foundation's Scholarship page.
In order to be eligible for formal recruitment, a Potential New Member (PNM) must successfully pass at least 12 credit hours with a 2.700 semester GPA at SMU or another university during the semester prior to recruitment. She must hold a cumulative GPA of 2.700 or higher, and she may not be on disciplinary probation or higher during any point in the previous semester.
The Altshuler Learning Enhancement Center (A-LEC) offers a number of services to promote academic success.
- Tutoring is a resource for all students, not just for those who find themselves in academic trouble. Check the schedule for specific course coverage.
- Academic Counseling – Work with a Learning Specialist to develop a personal time management system, test prep strategy, or to improve reading comprehension and speed.
- University Writing Center – Full-time English Faculty will consult with students on essay assignments from any course, at any stage from developing an outline to reviewing a final draft.
- Time Management Tools – Access the resources that the A-LEC staff uses in workshops and academic counseling.
- Academic Skills Workshops – Check the schedule for this semester's workshops, which cover topics such as Time Management, Test Preparation, Note Taking, Anxiety Management, and more.
- Disabilities Accommodations & Success Strategies (DASS) – This office assists students with disabilities to effectively utilize resources they may need and helps them work with professors and staff in obtaining appropriate and reasonable accommodations.